Can I omit information about my spouse on the I-192 waiver application? I fear any information I provide on my application may lead to a finding of inadmissibility against her.


Dear SRW Border Lawyers, I came across your website while looking for information on filing a Form I-192 waiver. I notice that your company has deep experience in filing these types of waivers. To make a long story short, I was living in the United States in H1-B visa and then fell out of status, but remained in the United States for a long period of time. Later, I moved to Canada after receiving permanent resident status. I am now a Canadian citizen. Last year, I applied for a B1 visitor visa and tried to visit the US; however, when I applied for admission into the United States, I was stopped, questioned for a long period of time, and then expedited removed. I believe the officer at the time thought that I was trying to immigrate permanently to United States (which I was not). I have no criminal record anywhere in the world, and I am very happy living in Canada. I just wanted to visit friends and family in the United States.

My wife and children, who are also Canadian citizens, are able to travel to United States without any problems even though they too overstayed the same length of time that I did. As such, my wife is very particular about not including her name on any Form I-192s, which I may file to overcome my inadmissibility. My wife fears that her ability to travel will be impacted if her name goes on any waiver. This is the biggest reason holding me back from filing the Form I-192 for the past 10 years.

My concerns are as follows: (1) Can I omit the information about my spouse and marriage from any papers that I file with the government; and (2) will the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protections (CBP), or Admissibility Review Office (ARO) insist on having details about my wife on the waiver application?


We would be more than happy to assist you with your immigration matter. In your email you asked if you could omit information about your spouse and marriage details when applying for a Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter a Nonimmigrant (“Form I-192”). In general, you should never omit required information from any document you file with the government. Thus, you must complete all applications, forms, and petitions truthfully. Failure to do so could subject you to a finding of fraud/misrepresentation pursuant to INA § 212(a)(6)(c), which is a lifetime bar to entering the United States.

Based on the information you provided in your email, we are not entirely sure that you need a Form I-192 waiver at this point. First, as you already may know, if you lived in the United States without any status after a certain period of time you began to accumulate unlawful presence. Based on the amount of unlawful presence you accumulate, the longer you are barred for reentry into the United States (i.e., 3 year bar vs. 10 year bar). If, however, you already remained outside the United States for more than 3 years or 10 years period (depending on your bar) you may no longer be inadmissible for unlawful presence.

You state in your email that you were issued an expedited removal order, which would bar you from entering the United States for five (5) years. Fortunately, from what you indicated, it appears that you were not issued an expedited removal order pursuant to INA 212(a)(6)(C), so you are likely not subject to a lifetime bar. Also, if 5 years has passed since the order was issued against you, you are likely no longer barred as a result of that order.

Finally, and this may be the greater troubling aspect, is that you state that your wife accumulated the same amount of unlawful presence as you did. If this is the case, your wife may need a waiver, even though she has been entering the United States without incident. This issue should be addressed, so that she does not experience any adverse immigration consequences in the future.

At this point, there is not enough information to determine if you or your wife requires a waiver, and if so, which ones. Thus, in order to properly assist you, I would strongly encourage you to set up a consultation to speak with the SRW Border Lawyer team to fully discuss these issues.